TCM used to be associated with your aunt or grandmother, but not anymore – today, this alternative medical practice is fast becoming a bigger part of our modern wellness regime.
Case in point: Bojin facial massages. This method of facial sculpting and revitalisation, though not as well understood as its more popular cousin gua sha, is fast taking the beauty scene by storm.
To help you better understand bojin facial massage, let’s run through all the steps you can expect during treatment and the various benefits you can look forward to.
Understanding bojin facial massage
Bojin facial massage is a traditional Chinese technique that uses an ox horn tool to massage the face and release tension in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. This helps to remove wrinkles and expression lines, relieve stress and headaches, and improve blood circulation.
The concepts behind Bojin facial massage are based on Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). In TCM, the face is believed to be a map of the body, and each facial area is associated with a different organ or system. For example, the forehead is associated with the liver, the eyes are associated with the kidneys, and the mouth is associated with the stomach.
It is believed in TCM that any tension in the facial muscles can cause blockages in the meridians, which are the channels that transport qi (life energy) throughout the body. These blockages can lead to a variety of other problems, like wrinkles, headaches, and fatigue.
Bojin facial massage is designed to help to clear these blockages and improve the flow of qi. The ox horn tool is specifically used to apply pressure to specific points on the face, which helps to relax the muscles and release tension. This can help to improve the appearance of the skin, reduce stress, and improve overall health.
Here are some of the benefits of Bojin facial massage:
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
- Improves skin elasticity and radiance
- Relieves stress and headaches
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves sleep quality
- Promotes overall health and well-being
Bojin facial massage is a safe and effective way to improve the appearance of the skin and promote overall health. It is a non-invasive treatment that does not require any needles or surgery. However, it is important to note that Bojin facial massage is not a miracle cure. It can help to improve the appearance of the skin, but it will not erase all wrinkles or fine lines.
The process of a bojin facial massage
A bojin facial massage is a non-invasive treatment that uses an ox horn tool to massage the face and release tension in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments. The massage typically takes about 60 minutes and can be done as a standalone treatment or as part of a larger beauty routine.
Cleansing: The massage begins with the therapist cleansing the face with a gentle cleanser.
Compress: Then, the therapist applies a warm compress to the face to help relax the muscles.
Massage: Next, the therapist uses the ox horn tool to massage the face, starting at the forehead and working down to the neck. The therapist focuses on massaging the acupressure points on the face, which are located on the forehead, temples, cheeks, eyes, nose, mouth, and chin.
The therapist uses a variety of strokes during the massage, including tapping, rubbing, and scraping. The goal of the massage is to release tension in the muscles and improve the flow of qi throughout the body. This can help to reduce wrinkles and fine lines, improve skin elasticity and radiance, relieve stress and headaches, improve blood circulation, and improve sleep quality.
At SkinLab, we marry the wisdom of TCM with proven science, adding medical-grade peels, as well as customised modelling masks with anti-ageing, whitening, hydrating, and pore-minimising ingredients, to our bojin facial massages.
Sensations and effects during a bojin facial massage
The sensations and effects of a bojin facial massage can vary, but some common sensations include:
- a feeling of warmth and relaxation
- a tingling sensation
- a feeling of pressure
- a sense of release
- a feeling of overall well-being
The effects of a bojin facial massage can also vary, but some common effects include reduced wrinkles and fine lines, improved skin elasticity and radiance, reduced puffiness and dark circles, improved blood circulation, reduced stress and anxiety, and improved sleep quality.
Aftercare and post-massage
A bojin facial massage’s effectiveness can be further enhanced by what you do post-treatment. Here are some tips for aftercare and post-massage for a more effective bojin facial massage:
- Avoid makeup for at least 24 hours. This will allow your skin to fully absorb the benefits of the massage.
- Use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer. Avoid using harsh products that could irritate your skin.
- Drink plenty of water. This will help to flush out toxins and keep your skin hydrated.
- Get a good night’s sleep. This will help your body to heal and recover from the massage.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 24 hours. This will help to prevent bruising and swelling.
- Listen to your body. If you experience any pain or discomfort, discontinue the aftercare routine and consult with a qualified practitioner.
Here are some additional tips that you may find helpful:
- Avoid sun exposure for 24 hours. The sun can damage your skin and make it more susceptible to wrinkles.
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. These substances can dehydrate your skin and make it more prone to wrinkles.
- Eat a healthy diet. This will help to nourish your skin from the inside out.
- Get regular exercise. This will help to improve your circulation and reduce stress, both of which can benefit your skin.
Treat yourself to a bojin facial massage
For a better complexion and a more sculpted face, treat yourself to a bojin facial massage by our experienced, well-trained professionals who know all about giving you the best facial possible.
At SkinLab, Singapore’s largest medical spa chain, our highly trained therapists will work hard to give you the revitalised, radiant skin you deserve.